If you’re a horse racing fan, you’re probably one of the many people waiting for the annual end-of-the-year American thoroughbred racing, the Breeders Cup World Championship. As the clock struck October, only a few weeks are left before this significant event. So, if you’re just about to get ready, here’s a brief information on everything you need to learn for this year’s Breeders Cup.
When Is the 2023 Breeders Cup?
If you plan to participate as a bettor, it would be the best time to look into the contenders. If you’re new to this, sportsbooks like TVG present odds for various races to provide information for future bettors. For instance, you can look for the Breeders Cup 2023 Mile TVG odds to compare the odds for the Mile. Once you get the hang of it, you can maximize your 2023 Breeders Cup experience.
Going back to the topic, all juvenile races take place on the first day of the Breeders Cup, usually called the Future Stars Friday. On this day, it will feature five World Championships races for two-year-olds with seven million dollars for purse and awards. Here’s the complete schedule to learn more.
- November 3, 2023 (Friday)
- Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint. 5:50 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies. 6:30 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. 7:10 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Juvenile. 7:50 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf. 8:30 p.m. ET
- November 4, 2023 (Saturday)
- Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Sprint. 3:05 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Turf Sprint. 3:40 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Dirt Mile. 4:19 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Turf. 4:59 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Sprint. 5:38 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Mile. 6:20 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Distaff. 7:00 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Turf. 7:40 p.m. ET
- Breeders Cup Classic. 8:40 p.m. ET
Where to Watch?
If you’re one of the fans who cannot purchase the 2023 Breeders Cup ticket for Santa Anita Park, California, then you’re in for some good news. The Breeders Cup Limited has announced that the event will be televised on various platforms:
- USA Network. This station will televise both days of the event. For the first day, the USA Network coverage will commence from 4 to 8 p.m. ET and include one undercard race.
- FanDuel TV. FandDuel TV will also stream both days of the Breeders Cup. The coverage will occur from 2:30 p.m. ET with the first undercard race and conclude on Friday with undercard Race #10. On Saturday, FanDuel TV will televise the first two undercard races and eight of the nine scheduled for the day, including the Breeders Cup Turf Sprint (G1) and the Qatar Racing Breeders Cup Sprint (G1).
Who Are the Top Contenders?
Since the juveniles are relatively new to the scene, there might not be enough information to gather. So, excluding the Future Stars Friday races, here are the top contenders of the five most awaited races of the 2023 Breeders Cup season.
- Classic. Arcangelo is getting all the attention as the favorite to win the 2023 Breeders Cup Classic. His races aren’t just your typical races, but significantly giant races like the 2023 Peter Pan (G3), 2023 Belmont Stakes (G1), and the 2023 Travers Stakes (G1), and he has won them all. And now, he’ll be heading straight to the Breeders Cup Classic, and if things go well, this event will just be another huge race in his record.
- Mile. The favorite to win for the 2023 Breeders Cup Mile is probably the oldest horse on this list. Throughout his career, he’s already participated in 33 races, two of which are Breeders Cup Mile (2020 and 2021) entries. His unsuccessful attempts so far have only motivated him to pursue a third try. His chances of winning just significantly leaped together with his gathered experiences.
- Turf. Auguste Rodin is a horse from Ireland who has made significant wins in his home country. In total, he has won six of his nine starts, including the 2023 Epsom Derby (G1), 2023 Irish Champion Stakes (G1), 2023 Irish Derby (G1), 2022 Futurity Trophy Stakes (G1), 2022 Champions Juvenile Stakes (G2), and the 2022 Maiden.
- Filly & Mare Turf. Inspiral is an active filly who started stake racing in 2021 and has been in 11 races since then. This year, she only participated in three starts and successfully won once in the 2023 Prix Jacques le Marois (G1) and finished in second place once. Moreover, her recent win is among the most prestigious races, significantly raising her odds for the Filly & Mare Turf.
- Sprint. For the Breeders Cup Sprint, a contender who’s no stranger to the Cup is the favorite to win, namely Cody’s Wish. Cody’s Wish has already participated in another Breeders Cup race before, the Dirt Mile (G1), in which he successfully won. This year, all fans look forward to how he will run for a different race and wonder if he can dominate this field like in the 2022 Breeders Cup.
As one of the world’s most significant horse racing events, it’s no wonder that many people wait for it every year. Now that you have all the information you need for the Breeders Cup, all it’s left to do is to get your ticket and prepare your favorites. There are only a few weeks left before the commencement. So, waste no time and make haste!