A women’s beach cruiser bike is the perfect choice for leisurely riding around the neighborhood. They use a comfortable frame, and you get an electric motor that assists you with pedaling.
There are so many cruiser e-bikes to choose from, so we put this guide together to help you pick the best one. Let’s start!
1. Consider Your Cycling Needs
We all have different needs when it comes to bikes. You want to make sure that you’re choosing one that fits in with your lifestyle. Plus, you want it to have all the features you need and for the frame to be the right size.
Women’s beach cruiser bikes are best for riding over flat, straight surfaces, so you’ll often see them along boardwalks. They can be harder to turn than other bikes. Still, the bulkier frame is much more comfortable to ride for extended periods.
If you’re using the bike in a hilly, windy area often, then you’ll be better suited for a city or mountain bike instead. Otherwise, go for the beach cruiser.
2. Establish a Budget
E-bikes can be pricey, so you must set a budget for yourself before you start shopping. If you don’t, it can be easy to overspend.
Plus, you can narrow your options, making choosing a bike easier.
3. Check the Frame Material
Next, you’ll want to check the frame material of the e-bikes you find. There are three common materials and one less common option, each offering something different.
Let’s break them down:
- Steel frames: These bikes are very durable. The frame material absorbs more shock, making for a smoother ride. However, it’s heavy and can make it harder to transport the bike. Still, it’s the most popular frame material for cruisers because it makes for a more comfortable ride with a classic look.
- Aluminum frames: This material is lighter than steel, so it’s not as durable. Still, you can carry the bike more easily. The material resists rust quite well, too. Although aluminum doesn’t absorb much shock during riding, your ride will feel bumpier.
- Alloy or hybrid frames: These frames use both steel and aluminum. As a result, you get a comfortable ride on a lighter bike. It’s also more durable than aluminum alone but not as durable as pure steel. These hybrid frames can vary significantly from one another depending on how they’re made.
- Carbon fiber frames: These frames aren’t as common due to their high cost. They’re firm and light, giving you the best ride possible. It’s a strong material but can still take damage if you hit something.
4. Choose a Frame That Fits
You must make sure you choose a frame that fits you well. Otherwise, it can be very uncomfortable to ride the bike. Beach cruisers are all about comfort, so picking one you feel great riding is essential.
You’ll need to find your stand-over height first. This measurement on a bike frame is from the ground to the middle of its top tube. Measure your inseam, then choose a frame that has a stand-over height that you can straddle with a few inches left over.
Measure your inseam with your shoes on for the most accurate results.
You’ll want to take the bike out for a test ride if possible. However, if you’re buying the bike online, you won’t have that opportunity, so measure yourself as accurately as possible.
Before buying an e-bike online, you’ll want to check that the company lets you return the bike within a set timeframe if it doesn’t fit.
5. Pick a Motor Type
Beach cruiser e-bikes can have either a hub or mid-drive motor. Mid-drive motors are generally the better choice if you want a smoother ride. They’re also quieter and provide the bike with better balance. However, you will almost always end up paying more for them.
You can save money by getting a hub motor. This motor type is also the standard option, so you’re more likely to find them online and in stores.
6. Understand Pedal Assist and Throttle
E-bikes come with pedal assist or throttle systems. Some also come with a combination of both.
- Pedal assist: The motor helps you pedal. You can change the settings to get the amount of assistance that’s best for you. You still get plenty of exercise without exhausting yourself.
- Throttle system: The e-bike does all of the pedaling for you. It comes with options to switch the speed.
Many people will use the pedal assist function for exercise and the full throttle when worn out. Relying on the throttle does drain the battery faster, so you’ll need to be careful when planning your rides.
Make sure you choose a bike with all the pedal assist levels you need. You can adjust them to your fitness level and raise the assistance when going up hills.
7. Check the Battery Life
You’ll want to make sure that you look into the battery on the e-bike. The battery life determines how far you can ride. So, you must choose one that suits your riding plans the most.
The battery capacity is measured in watt-hours (Wh). The higher the rating, the further you can ride the bike without needing to charge it. Most companies list a range estimate, although several things depend on how far you can ride the bike.
For example, your weight will make the battery use more power the more you weigh. Riding the bike up hills and using a higher pedal assist level will drain the battery faster.
You’ll also want to know how long the battery takes to reach a full charge. Lastly, make sure that you get a warranty on the battery in case something goes wrong.
Start Cruising on Your New E-Bike
In short, beach cruiser bikes are comfortable and a lot of fun to ride! You’ll want to pick your favorite one and get cycling as soon as possible. You can get good exercise, use them to commute, and enjoy a relaxing leisure ride any time you want.